From October 4, 2024 in cinemas Joker 2currently titled Joker: Folie à Deux, the sequel sees the return of Todd Phillips as director, co-writer and producer and Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck aka Joker. The film will include a new Harley quinn played by Lady Gaga who will present an alternate version of the incarnation of Margot Robbie.
Joker 2 – Plot and cast
There is no official storyline yet, but it has been announced that “Joker 2” will be a musical primarily set at Arkham Asylum and focus on the Joker’s time in the iconic criminal asylum.
The cast in addition to Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck and Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn also includes Zazie Beetz, Brendan Gleeson, Catherine Keener, Jacob Lofland and Harry Lawtey.
Trivia about the movie
- Todd Phillips confirmed on June 7, 2022 that the film’s initial script had been completed, posting a photo of Joaquin Phoenix reading the script. It was also confirmed that co-writer Scott Silver would return for this film whose credits include scripts for The latest storm, The Fighter And 8 Mile.
- This will be Joaquin Phoenix’s first sequel and Todd Phillips’ first musical.
- This is the first theatrically released musical film based on a DC comic. The first film musical is “It’s a Bird, It’s a Plane, It’s Superman” (1966). Its television adaptation (1975) is considered the first musical film based on a DC comic; while the first television musical episode based on a DC comic is “Duet” (2017) an episode of the TV series Flash, season 3, episode 17.
- The original “Joker” apart from some inevitable controversy with respect to its extreme realism, and the vehicular violence and borderline behavior, was acclaimed by critics, won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, two Oscars for the interpretation of Joaquin Phoenix and Hildur Guðnadóttir’s soundtrack and grossed over $1 billion worldwide, the first fully R-rated film to gross that much.
- The working title of the sequel is “Folie a Deux”, which in French means “Madness for two” is a reference to a psychological disorder also referred to as contagious madness or infectious madness involving two individuals (the inducer and the submissive)., a clear reference to the “sick” relationship that unites Joker and Harley Quinn.
- In the finale of the film “Joker”, the Arthur Fleck of Phoenix was locked up in a psychiatric institution, a setting that recalls the origin of the relationship between Joker and Harley Quinn, since she was a psychiatrist remotely courted by Joker recluse at Arkham. When Harley decides to meet him, he manipulates her and she ends up falling madly in love with him, actually making the Joker a real love obsession in the most pathological sense of the term. Harley Quinn eventually helps Joker escape from Arkham, but once he’s free he leaves her without a minimum of regret (otherwise what a sociopath would he be?), and this tumultuous relationship begins in which the two take and break up several times, with Harley Quinn who often finds himself as an accomplice to the Joker in the various crazy plans that the Clown Prince of Crime devises from time to time. This storyline is narrated “Batman: Mad Love” (The Batman Adventures: Mad Love), also known as Mad Love, a comic book part of the “The Batman Adventures” series that debuted in 1994 by Paul Dini (text) and Bruce Timm (illustrations), together the two created the 1992 Batman animated series.
First official image of Joaquin Phoenix released on December 11, 2022
Statements and interviews
Speaking earlier about how he would handle a possible “Joker 2,” director Todd Phillips replied:
It couldn’t just be a crazy, wild movie about the ‘clown prince of crime. It should have some thematic resonance in a similar way to the original. Because I think ultimately that’s why the movie connected, that’s what’s going on underneath. So many movies are about the spark, and this one is about the dust. If I could capture that again in a real way, that would be interesting.
After the release of the reboot The Batman many have lost hope of being able to see Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker confront a Dark Knight in the alternative Gotham inspired by the American films of the seventies created by Todd Phillips, but in 2020 the director speaking with variety revealed that he would like to see a Batman film set in Gotham City as the backdrop for his film Joker. In reality, it was understood that the move away from the mythology of the comics was something more in the heart of Joaquin Phoenix than of Phillips, so much so that Phoenix would also have wanted to eliminate Thomas Wayne from the film, thus making any connection with Batman and the Joker of the stripped down comics. Speaking about Gotham’s alternate version of his Joker, Phillips said, “What I’d like to see is someone address the Batman aspect of that Gotham.” Phillips immediately clarified that he was not proposing to direct a possible spin-off, but that during the making of Joker he found it interesting to think about how to include Batman in the film and in doing so he asked himself: “What kind of Batman would create that Gotham?”.
Joker 2 – Photos and Posters