When is the New York Marathon in 2022?
- The 51st edition of the New York Marathon will take place on Sunday, November 6, 2022. As every year, the start will be given from Staten Island with the legendary crossing of the Verrazano-Narrows bridge, at the entrance to New York Bay.
- The start is scheduled at 8am for professional competitors in wheelchairs. They will be followed 22 minutes later by the disabled runners.
- The women professionals will start at 8:40 am and the men professionals at 9:05 am.
- Then there are 5 waves of departures: wave 1 at 9:10 a.m., wave 2 at 9:45 a.m., wave 3 at 10:20 a.m., wave 4 at 10:55 a.m. and wave 5 at 11:30 a.m. If you’re taking part in the 2022 New York City Marathon, don’t miss your wave time!
How many competitors participate in the New York Marathon?
- Last year, more than 25,000 competitors crossed the finish line, from 91 countries. A much lower than usual participation, due to the limitation of the number of participants due to the coronavirus crisis.
- This year, with the reopening of the American borders, the number of “finishers” is returning to normal and should well exceed 50,000! The French, Belgian and Swiss contingents are also perfectly well represented.
- Do you participate in the New York Marathon? We encourage you! Tell us your bib number on the Facebook group Destination New York. On race day, I will quote you in the results list!
Who are the celebrities who will be present
In the middle of the peloton, you may come across several celebrities who will participate in the race. A few names to spot and encourage:
- Tiki Barber, former New York Giants player.
- Ashton Kutcher, actor who starred in The Butterfly Effect.
- Ellie Kemper, actress who plays in The Office.
- Claire Holt, actress in The Vampire Diaries and The Originals.
- Laurent Ridloff, actress of The Walking Dead.
- Sierra Boggess, Broadway actress.
- Ryan Briscoe, Australian racing driver. If you meet him, he speaks French. 😉
- Marit Bjørgen, 15-time Olympic cross-country medalist.
- Monica Puig, Olympic tennis champion at the Rio Olympics in 2016.
What are the times to beat?
- The record for the men’s event is still held by Kenyan Geoffrey Mutai. The time to beat: 2 hours, 5 minutes and 5 seconds in 2011.
- For women, the record for the event is even older since it has stood since 2003. It was set by Kenyan Margaret Okayo in 2 hours, 22 minutes and 31 seconds.
- If you are not aiming for the record, know that the average time in 2021 was 4 hours, 39 minutes and 2 seconds.
What is the route for the 2022 New York City Marathon?
- The 51st edition of the New York Marathon is faithful to tradition, with an identical route to that of previous years. The route will span the 5 major districts of New York: Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, the Bronx before arriving in Central Park.
- Here is the itinerary for the 2022 edition. Click on the image to enlarge it.